The driver of a French Language school bus from Ecole La Belle Cloche got out safely after his bus caught fire early this morning on the Primrose Road before any students were picked up.
“The driver had left to begin his run and noticed the engine was not working properly- losing power- and that he had pulled over to the side of the road to request a spare,” Brad Sampson, Acting Superintendent of the French Language School Board said.
“The engine caught fire at that point and he called 911.”
“As far as we know it was an isolated incident,” he added.
“We are looking into the maintenance work orders and preliminary results show there was nothing to indicate anything of concern with the engine.
“At the same time we’re digging a little deeper with our colleagues in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia to see if they have ever had any incidents of this nature.”
Other buses from the school picked up the students on the route and the driver is at home resting from the ordeal.