• 0

As per every single election that rolls around, there seems to be those who feel the need to deface the strategically placed candidate signs.

  • 0

Constructed in 1865 as a beacon to warn sea going vessels of the dangerous reef at the extreme north-west point of Prince Edward Island, the North Cape lighthouse has been a source of great pride for local inhabitants. Long before the site became a windmill farm, the magnificent lighthouse w…

  • 0

The Parish of Palmer Road borders the shore of Northumberland Strait just south of the neighbouring village of Tignish, Prince Edward Island. The community is dominated by historic and beautiful Immaculate Conception Church which is built on high land overlooking the whole parish. When this …

  • 0

“It is announced that the lighthouse at North Cape, Prince Edward Island, after occupying its present site since 1866 is to be moved inland a distance of approximately 400 feet. Heavy seas at the north-western tip of the Island have washed the banks away until the lighthouse is almost underm…

  • 0

At a time when daycare centres were non-existent in West Prince, members of the Bloomfield Baby Band, consisting of wee tots and their mothers, were afforded an opportunity to get together on a summer afternoon. Hosted by a neighbour with a shaded lawn, the gathering held a worship period wh…

  • 0

“Rev. J. Clarence Pitre will officiate at the opening of the new St. Anthony’s Church Hall in Bloomfield tonight (14 December 1959) at 8 o’clock. The splendid new hall is designed as a centre of community activity, and fills a long seen need in that respect. Construction of the parish hall b…

  • 0

“Arthur Wright of Mount Pleasant, P.E.I. celebrated his 107th birthday in 1959. Born in 19th century England during the Victorian Age, he has lived during the reigns of six British sovereigns and was 15 years old when Prince Edward Island entered Confederation. During his lifetime the world …

  • 0

The beginnings of the parish of Tignish, P. E. Island dates back to 1799 when eight Acadian families from Malpeque took up residence at ‘The Green,’ just outside the present-day village of Tignish. Winter was not too far off, so the settlers immediately set to work to fell and square trees a…

  • 0

In 1910 the Federal Government implemented new and stringent protective regulations for the Island lobster fishery. The new regulations included several prohibitive measures: ‘Berried’ or spawning and soft-shelled lobsters were not allowed to be landed; ‘traps’ were prevented from being ‘set…

  • 0

In 1959 a reporter for the Journal-Pioneer described this time of year for the Tignish Fisheries Co-op lobster factory located at Judes’ Point as a busy scene of bustling activity, when the lobster season is in full swing. The evidence that the Fisheries Co-op is vital to the area can be see…

  • 0

“Believe it or not but in pioneer days flour was ground at home on curious little hand-mills which could be carried from home to home. This crude mill consisted of two stones pounding or rubbing together, worked by hand, and grinding at one operation enough wheat to last a family for a singl…

  • 0

Ever hear of a paring bee? You haven’t? Well, a paring bee is much the same as any other bee except at this kind of shindig the young folk got together for the purpose of paring or peeling apples. First a girl and then a boy seated themselves opposite each other at the large kitchen table an…

If you're interested in submitting a Letter to the Editor, click here.